Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Calling all computer nerds...

To all my tech-gifted friends...
Here's the scoop.
Be forewarned, it's a little TMI, but you'll understand why.


I'm finally getting my computer back. This was a computer I purchased a few years ago when I was married to the evil one. It was taken by detectives when I found evidence of child pornography on it. That was nearly three years ago. I'm going to be given it back, hopefully by the end of the week. I've been warned that there are now operating system errors on it. That and in the words of the detective, "a ton of porn". Gross. I know.

The detective I've been working with has graciously agreed to carve from the hardrive all my pictures. The only thing of value on it. What I really could use come help with is rebuilding the computer. The detective suggests completely wiping the computer clean to rid the porn and viruses. Then reinstalling Windows and rebuilding the computer.


Since I am tech stupid, is this possible?? Or should I just scrap the computer and hope for a new one. My only reason for wanting it back is that we're not in a position to buy a new one. If I can realistically and practically rebuild mine, that would be perfect. I only really use it for girly stuff anyway. Blogging, Facebook, shopping... you know, girly stuff.


So friends... is it possible? Does anyone know someone I could hire? To be honest, the only reason I'm begging help from friends is that I'm too embarrassed by the content of the computer to take it to someone professionally.


Any suggestions??

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is possible. You can do it yourself! If I can, you can. ;) All you need is to remove everything, and hopefully you still have the Windows OS discs.. that is all you really need plus any other programs you want to run. I have a tech savvy brother in law and my husband knows what he's doing really well when he is erasing stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are programs out there that will completely wipe your hard drive clean. Then, if rebuilding it yourself with the Windows disc doesn't work, you can take it someplace to have it rebuilt. They will never know what was on it before.

    When my MIL bought a new laptop, she wiped the drive on her old one and gave it to us. We were able to get some things to work, but not others, and finally took it into PC Laptops for help. For about $80, they were able to figure out which drivers were missing and give us back a great laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need help with anything, Justin's cousin could do it. Just let me know if you want me to ask him.

    ReplyDelete

Where in the world??

Some Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones