I've been blessed by having my family close. Especially the last few years being a single mom. They help me so much with Celia. I do have a little gripe though...
I don't want to sound ungrateful, but sometimes it feels like Celia has about six parents. Me not included. Because of my situation, it's like everyone is free to discipline my daughter whenever she steps out of line even if I'm right there.
I know I'm not the perfect parent. But, I'm pretty involved in my daughter's life and we have a great relationship. She's high energy, but not a bad kid. I wish my family members would respect me enough to let me parent instead of always stepping in. Or if I've missed something she's done, inform me first before they discipline her.
Now, I know I'm not by her side all day every day and there are instances when disciplining my daughter without my knowledge may be appropriate. That doesn't upset me as much as when they scold her while I'm standing right there. It makes me feel like the world's worst parent! Again, I know I'm not perfect. But, I'm not a careless parent either. I work very hard to be a good mom. I read a lot, I pray a lot and like it or not I've been through a bunch of counseling to help Celia with her special issues. And I'm her mom! They may not like the way I parent. But, it's not their child or their choice. I think I'm doing a pretty good job raising her. I wish they could put themselves in my shoes. Would they like me to undermine their parenting in front of their children's eyes??















No comments:
Post a Comment